Monday, May 28, 2012

Prayer

My gosh, blogger is having this new interface. I am really not used to this.. took me a while to figure how to write a new blog post.

Back on the topic, I was presented with this question not long ago by my youth pastor.

Are we seeking the blessings from God, or the blesser?

This simple question was playing in my mind for a few days. Even though it was a really simple question, but it really hit close to home. I asked myself, what am I really praying for? What is my REAL determination to pray?

Many a times, we pray because we want something. All of us has desires, no? Even myself. My friends would know what an unhealthy appetite I have for cosmetics.

Look, I am about to share a secret:-













I kinda bought myself a RM 179.90 naked palette.


I shouldn't be saying this but... this purchase is actually a secret. I can't tell anyone (especially family members) because my mom will kill me. She had a long lecture for expensive stuff and she really dislike people spending excessively (like yours truly).

And also, I really have this desire for doing well in my studies. I really want to score and get scholarship. More importantly.... I don't want to pay PTPTPTPTPN for the next 20 years of my working life. The last time I score was my SPM. I haven't actually gotten a few A's since college. I've been dying to perform well... Thus I've been praying very hard for my studies.

The week of exam I prayed everyday. The week after I only prayed for 3-4 days.

But this simple question really hit me, and I just realized.... seriously. What have I been praying for?

Are my desires the purpose of me praying? How have I been treating God? A genie? A fairygodfather?

For years I have been always asking God for things. Mind you, it is not that we cannot ask anything from Him. Instead, He gave us many promises in the bible, urging us to ask from him. Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall be opened. Sounds familiar?

It dawn on me, that we should be praying because we want to know Him. And that simple resolution should be the MAIN reason why we pray. To know Him, to feel his heartbeat.

Yet due to human's selfishness, we forgot the main purpose of prayer. Simple. God wants to know us, and we know Him. Is the relationship that keeps our prayer going, not our desires.

We can ask God for things, but we should put the intention of knowing Him as the priority.

Do you notice that most people pray so hard during times of need? Praying when times are challenging? But not the other way round?

 Me included. I've been like that dunno for how long. Seriously, it's a shame. lol.

No wonder why it is hard to keep our fire burning for the Lord. Because we have been praying for the wrong reasons! If we pray because we seek for blessings, obviously it would be short lived. Challenges in life is seasonal!

But if we pray because we want to know Him... wouldn't it last? The one that will never change... that one that is unchanging.

So, I urge all of you to ask yourself this question:

Are you seeking the blesser, of His blessings?

Set yourself right before Him today! God bless :)

No comments: